Saturday, March 27, 2010

March Madness... it's in the air

Basketball. "This is the second most exciting indoor sport, and the other one shouldn't have spectators." - Dick Vertleib

My dad and I picked Kansas to win in our bracket. Kansas lost - highly unexpected. There have been a lot of upsets this tournament; however, I have to admit I love it when the underdog wins. This is one of the few times I don't mind the term "cinderella story".

It got me thinking why do I choose certain teams over others? I don't always choose the team with the best stats or players but I often pick a team based on city alone or the fact I like their jerseys. I pretty much pick men the same way. So what is the right way to do it? Examine statistics? Look at past history? I have seen a basketball game get turned around in the last seconds and a top seed lose to the underdog so it just goes to show you that on any given day you never know who will win or who will lose. That should make me feel better because even with all the right information you can still get it wrong. But I have also felt the losing. It hurts.

When I watch basketball games I get excited for a 3 pointer that was shot at a time when most people would let the clock count down. That type of shot takes guts. A good block excites me too. It's all in the timing - much like relationships.

With regards to my dating life I usually sit back and let the clock tick down. I wait for phone calls. I wait for him to text or email first. I play it safe. Watching all of these underdogs defeat top seeds and take ballsy shots has lit a fire in me. I have been calling the Artist and I don't really care. The game only matters if you are set on the result but this time I'm not. Am I chasing him? Some might think so.

But the truth is I am tired of the game so I am just going to play to play - win or lose - at least I am in the game.


1 comment: