Monday, October 5, 2009

The doctor is out to lunch

Still kissing frogs... (well didn't kiss this one - luckily)

On my way to take my daughter to a birthday party on Saturday, I ran into a chiropractor who I had gotten a few adjustments from a year ago. I had sensed that there was an attraction there but nothing more was spoken of it, especially since I was just getting separated from my wasband. We had talked a few times about his experiences as a single parent but never in depth or outside of a professional relationship - until Saturday.

After bumping into him randomly on the sidewalk he asked me out to lunch. It was a beautiful and warm sunny afternoon and I said I wanted to eat outdoors. He took me to a restaurant right on the water. The setting was picture perfect. We were literally on a deck on the water overlooking the city skyline. The sun was shining and it was warm but not hot. Across from me sat a handsome doctor and we were sharing good conversation and a few laughs. I am lucky girl or so I thought.

Until this came out of his mouth "So I had already decided I was not going to tell you this but I feel like you can handle it. I am dating someone but it is a little crazy because she is very young."

Me - "How young?" Now mind you this man is 45 years old and looks like he is in mid 30s.

"Nineteen."

With my jaw fully dropped open and the fact we were both parents of young girls I looked at him with complete disgust and dismay. He proceeds to tell me that it is not about the sex or the catch that he really feels like they are connected, etc. In fact, he says they don't even have sex.

At this point I am trying to eat as quickly as possible to get out of there but at the same time am like a deer in headlights and can't stop asking probing questions. "What is that they have in common? What could you possibly talk about?" Oh and as it turns out the girl lives at home ...

As I sat there with a lack of words and huge panic filled eyes the only thing that left me comfort was that somehow I looked young enough to be considered worthy of his time. .... yeah this doctor was out to lunch.

NEXT!

1 comment: